Thursday, July 31, 2008

Playing on Twitter

I've been playing on Twitter an awful lot lately. I've run into some people in the area who I don't think that I ever would have in other circumstances. The ability to follow people and message them is incredibly easy. I'm finding it very rewarding to be able to post any old thought or happening online. The shortness of the messages, (140 characters) make it very quick. The omnipresence of the tool is also a great feature. You can connect to it with your mobile phone through mobile web or text messaging, there are also apps for all the smart phones. You can connect to it on your computer using their web interface or you can connect with a third party application like twhirl (my personal favorite)

There is a bit of a friend curve. It is more fun the more people you follow and talk to. So if you want to try it out you can follow one of the top twitterati they give you a good idea of what you can do with Twitter but don't forget that they are Celebrities and most likely will not have time to talk to you. Some of these are followed by thousands of people. To get the most out of Twitter you will want to enlist your friends or you can just search for people in your area.

I'll probably be posting about the developments that I come across this service. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

If you're not busy tonight (Feb. 7th) we have an exhibition of artwork opening at the Secor Gallery that includes a self portrait made out of Twitters. Also, in the show of digital and installation art is a machinima animation made in the virtual world of Second Life. More info here: http://www.toledofreepress.com/2009/02/06/secor-gallery-opening-mixed-media-show/

laser said...

That is so cool! Unfortunately I just read this comment so I won't be able to make it to the show tonight but I'll try and make it to the show soon.